INTERTANKO established the Environmental Committee in 1996 to develop its understanding on environmental issues and to participate in an informed manner, so that the issues directly effecting tanker operations are better represented by INTERTANKO for the benefit of its Members. Further, to develop environmental policies for INTERTANKO to follow up at IMO and elsewhere, and to be pro-active in approach. In addition, to establish effective dialogue with environmental groups.
- To develop understanding on environmental issues
- To participate in an informed manner, so that the issues directly affecting tanker operations are better represented by INTERTANKO for the benefit of its Members
- To develop environmental policies for INTERTANKO to follow up at the IMO and elsewhere, and to be proactive in approach
- To establish effective dialogue with environmental groups
- Ballast Water Management *
- Environmental compliance
- Biofouling and antifouling
- United States Vessel General Permit (VGP) scheme
- Port reception facilities
- Environmental performance and benchmarking
- Ship recycling
- Liaison with environmental organisations
- Environmental initiatives and projects
- Environmental information sharing
- Air emissions *
- Waste management and MARPOL Annex V
- Integrated Bilge Treatment Systems (IBTS) *
* items jointly addressed with ISTEC
Chairman: Ko Ko Naing (Chairman) – Stena AB/Northern Marine
Secretary: Tim Wilkins
Environmental Committee Minutes now available
The Minutes from INTERTANKO’s Environmental Committee meeting held in Lisbon 12-13 September are now available on the INTERTANKO website. The... MORE
Environmental Committee meets in Lisbon
INTERTANKO’s Environmental Committee met for its 47th meeting at the headquarters of the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) in Lisbon... MORE
INTERTANKO Environmental Committee Minutes available
Further to the report in Weekly News No. 13, the Minutes from the Environmental Committee's last meeting held in Dubai... MORE
INTERTANKO Environmental Committee meets in Dubai
Chaired by Ko Ko Naing of Stena Bulk AB / Northern Marine Ltd., the Environmental Committee meeting was attended... MORE
INTERTANKO Environmental Committee Minutes available
Following our report of the Environmental Committee's meeting held in Glasgow on 14 September (Weekly NEWS No. 38 2017), the... MORE
INTERTANKO Position on Ship Recycling
INTERTANKO Statement on Ship Recycling and the Hong Kong Convention INTERTANKO supports the introduction of international environmental and safety standards... MORE
Guidance on Waste Management for Tankers
INTERTANKO's Guidance on Waste Management for Tankers seeks to provide guidance for the management of waste on-board tankers taking into... MORE
Guide to Modern Antifouling Systems and Biofouling Management
INTERTANKO's Guide to Modern Antifouling Systems and Biofouling Management. Produced by INTERTANKO’s Environmental Committee, this guide provides Members with advice... MORE
Terms of Reference
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- 1.1. To develop INTERTANKO’s understanding of environmental issues and to participate in an informed manner, so that the issues directly affecting tanker operations are better represented by the Association for the benefit of its members.
- 1.2. To develop environmental policies for INTERTANKO to follow up at the IMO and elsewhere, and to be pro-active in approach.
- 1.3. To establish an effective dialogue with environmental groups.
- 2.1. The Environmental Committee is composed of a maximum of 20 members at any one time. The Committee will draw on additional outside expertise if required.
- 2.2. The Committee members term is two years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply and are approved by the Executive Committee. Examples of when other reasons apply could include when it is difficult to get new members to join a Committee or the member has specific expertise that would be valuable in the resolution of an important issue under discussion by the Committee.
- 2.3. Members should attend Committee meetings and actively participate in the Committee discussions. Repeated non‐attendance/non contribution may result in a review of Committee membership by the Committee Chairman and Secretary and a recommendation of removal from the committee. A Committee member may, on occasion, be represented by an alternate from his company.
- 2.4. Membership on the Committee is based on the expertise/qualifications of the individual, therefore, membership on a Committee rests with the individual, not the company that the individual works for.
- 2.5. The Committee shall be composed of individuals from Member companies that have experience and expertise which will contribute to the aims and objectives of the Committee and its work programme items.
- 3.1. The Committee shall elect from among its members a Chairman and up to two Vice-Chairmen which are to be approved by the Council.
- 3.2. The Chairman’s term of office is two years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply and are approved by the Executive Committee. Examples of when other reasons apply could include when a new Chairman cannot be found or the resolution of an important issue under discussion by the Committee would benefit from the Chairman’s leadership.
- 3.2. The Chairman will also act as a Vice-Chairman to ISTEC on Environmental issues.
- 4.1. The Committee aims to meet at least twice a year.
- 4.2. The Chairman may invite observers to the meetings. INTERTANKO’s Chairman, ISTEC Chairman and Managing Director may participate in the meetings.
5. TRAVEL EXPENSES
- 5.1. The travel expenses of the Committee’s membership should be paid for by the member company.
6. TERMS OF REFERENCE
- 6.1. The Terms of Reference shall be approved by INTERTANKO’s Council.
- 7.1. The INTERTANKO Secretariat undertakes the secretarial and administrative tasks for the Committee.
- 8.1. The Environmental Committee will report to INTERTANKO’s Council through its Chairman, as required.
Updated and approved at 37th Meeting held in Istanbul on 12th September 2013.
Endorsed by the Council in Hong Kong on 26th November 2013.
Team Tankers International DK
Mr. Sudhir Bhimani
Anglo-Eastern Ship Management Ltd
Capt. Pär Brandholm
Team Tankers International (FORMER Laurin Maritime AB)
Marinvest Shipping AB
Ms. Panagiota P. Chrysanthi
Andriaki Shipping Co Ltd
Capt. Allan Dutton
Mr. Antonios Georgantzis
Latsco Marine Management Inc
Ms. Marina Hadjipateras
Dorian LPG Management Corp
Capt. Pradeep Kale
Teekay Marine (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Mr. Ko Ko Naing
Northern Marine Management Ltd.
Capt. Michael Reppas
Sea World Management & Trading Inc
Ms. Emma Scheiris
Mr. Ole Christian Schroder
Scorpio Tankers Inc.
Ms. Maria Sotiriou
Minerva Marine Inc
Mr. Fabio Tagliavia
d'Amico Societá di Navigazione SpA
Capt. Atul Vatsa
Thome Ship Management Pte. Ltd.
Mr. Nikolay N. Zinenko
SCF Management Services (Novorossiysk)