Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC)
- Promote safety at sea and the protection of the environment through communication and sharing experience
- Foster co-operation with the IMO, IACS, OCIMF, ICS and other recognised bodies involved with tanker safety and the protection of the environment
- Represent INTERTANKO Members at IMO and other industry fora so as to ensure proper representation on appropriate committees and working groups developing safety and environmental legislation and regulation
- Advise on aspects of safety, environmental protection, operation of tankers and training in order to promote efficient and professional ship operation
- Assist Council and Executive Committee with developing technical standpoints and policies for INTERTANKO
Technical Director, European Affairs Coordinator, Oslo office manager
t: +47 22 122 650
Donna Tang de Leon
Assistant Manager Technical
t: +47 22 122 687
Committee meetings are restricted to Members and only show when logged-in to the site
Statutory & Class
- Testing of Watertight Compartments.
- Terminal Flush Water.
- Measurement, Reporting and Verifications (MRV) — EU & IMO rule development.*
- Ballast Water Management Systems.*
- IACS Unified Interpretations and Unified Requirements.
- ECDIS IMO United Interpretation.
- IMO guidelines for the design, fabrication and construction for new installations; onboard procedures for routine inspection, maintenance and operation of lifting appliances and winches; and familiarisation of ship’s crew and shore-based personnel.
- NOx Tier III.
- Ship Construction File.
- IGF Code & Working Group on Alternative Fuels.
- Measurements of changes in hull and propeller performance — new ISO standard.
- Eco-ships – Members’ experience with performance of new buildings, including the installed power.*
- Waste Management – Boiler wash down water and MARPOL Annex V.*
- Working Group on Integrated Bilge Tank Systems (IBTS).
- Technical and operational challenges to switch to MGO (e.g. LOP incidents).
- Standard for on-board / engine room sampling.
- Post Dry-docking Checklist (or drydocking completion list).
- Inspection of COT – VIQ.
- INTERTANKO Oil Record Book.
- OCIMF VOC White Paper.
- OCIMF MTSC on critical spares.
* Items jointly addressed with the Environmental Committee
Chairman: Douglas Lang – Anglo-Eastern Shipm'ment (UK) Ltd
Secretary: Dragos Rauta
ISTEC Working Group on Performance Monitoring meets in London
The fourth meeting of the Working Group on Performance Monitoring (WG) took place at INTERTANKO’s London office this week. The... MORE
INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) 55th Meeting held in London
The INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) met in London last week (28 February – 1 March) under the Chairmanship... MORE
INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee meets in Lisbon
The INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) met this week (13 and 14 September) at the European Maritime Safety Agency... MORE
INTERTANKO/ISTEC Working Group on Hull Performance meets in London
The 2nd meeting of the Working Group on Performance Monitoring (WG) met on 26 April 2018 at INTERTANKO's London office.... MORE
INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee meets in Dubai
he INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) met in Dubai on 22 and 23 March and was attended by some... MORE
The Dry-Docking Check List is developed by INTERTANKO's Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) with the aim of improving the scope... MORE
Research Report: Marine Fuel Quality - An Objective Review
INTERTANKO Research Report: Marine Fuel Quality - An Objective Review, by Lloyd’s Register Marine (FOBAS).... MORE
Research Report: A Case Study of Fuel Monitoring and Efficiency Indicators
INTERTANKO Research Report: A Case Study of Fuel Monitoring and Efficiency Indicators - by UCL Energy Institute.... MORE
Emission Control Area (ECA) 2015 - SOX Requirements - Advisory to INTERTANKO Members
Advisory to INTERTANKO Members: Emission Control Area (ECA) 2015 - SOX Requirements.... MORE
A Guide for Correct Entries in the Oil Record Book (Part I - Machinery space ops), 3rd Edition
This publication addresses the increasing problems of ships being detained and fined due to equipment malfunction. It also provides guidance... MORE
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference
INTERTANKO Safety, Technical And Environmental Committee (ISTEC)
1. Aims And Objectives
To promote and protect the interests of the INTERTANKO membership in relation to international, national and local legislation and regulation as it affects ship design, safe tanker operation and the protection of the environment. To this end the Committee will:
- 1.1. Promote safety at sea and protection of the Environment through communication and experience sharing.
- 1.2. Foster co-operation with the International Maritime Organisation, the International Association of Classification Societies, the Oil Companies International Marine Forum, the International Chamber of Shipping and other recognised bodies involved with tanker safety and the protection of the environment.
- 1.3. Represent INTERTANKO at IMO and other industry fora so as to ensure proper representation on appropriate committees and groups developing safety and environmental legislation and regulation.
- 1.4. Advise on aspects of safety, environmental protection, operation of tankers and training to promote efficient and professional ship operation.
- 2.1 The INTERTANKO Safety, Technical and Environmental Committee, ISTEC, will comprise a maximum of twenty-five members.
- 2.2 Election to the Committee will be by the Council upon nomination by the Committee. The Committee members’ term of office is two-years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply which are recommended by the Committee and approved by the Executive Committee. However, if there are members waiting to join the Committee, a member must step down from the Committee after eight consecutive years on the Committee for at least a one year period. A Committee member has the right to be represented by an alternator from his/her company. Each Committee Member is expected to be actively involved in at least one of the activities of the Committee Sub-Committee/Working groups.
- 2.3. The Committee’s composition will be periodically reviewed by the ISTEC Chairman and the Secretariat so as to continue to reflect the balance of expertise and representation required.
- 2.4 The Committee membership should be comprised of members with a good geographical spread to the extent possible.
- 2.5 To the extent possible, there should be no more than one representative from a member company on the Committee.
3. Chairman And Vice Chairman
- 3.1. In consultation with the Executive Committee, the Committee will nominate its own Chairman for election by the Council. The Chairman’s term of office is two-years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply which are recommended by the Committee and approved by the Executive Committee.
- 3.2 The Committee will nominate at least one Vice Chairman from its membership for election by the Council. The Vice Chairman’s term of office should not exceed two years unless by invitation.
- 4.1. ISTEC is to meet as necessary, but not less than twice a year at venues to be decided by the Chairman and the INTERTANKO office.
- 4.2. Committee members shall endeavour to attend a minimum of one meeting per year. Should a committee member not be able to attend the member will be encouraged to submit written comments.
- 4.3. INTERTANKO’s Chairman and Managing Director may participate in the meetings.
5. Travel Expenses
The travel expenses of the Committee’s membership should be paid for by the member company.
6. Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference shall be approved by INTERTANKO’s Council.
The INTERTANKO Secretariat undertakes the secretarial and administrative tasks for the Committee.
The Committee will report to INTERTANKO’s Council.
9. Duties and Responsibilities
- 9.1. The Committee through its Chairman and, when appropriate in consultation with the Executive Committee, will identify important issues arising within the industry and set up Working Groups as deemed appropriate.
- 9.2. The Chairman of Working Groups (WG) should be responsible for the discussion and preparation of documents required by that WG and they should report periodically to the Committee/INTERTANKO office on any progress.
- 9.3. ISTEC should endeavour to obtain the best possible benefits from INTERTANKO’s observer status at IMO.
- 9.4. Ensure that it is represented on working groups at IMO concerned with aspects of safety, environmental protection, operation of tankers and training.
- 9.5. Serve as forum for the exchange of information and experience pertaining to safety, operation of tankers and training for INTERTANKO membership and/or relation with other industry bodies.
- 9.6. Serve as a forum to examine and review international, national and local legislative proposals and activities affecting the membership.
- 9.7. Initiate studies and research relating to the safe marine transportation of hydrocarbon and chemical substances.
- 9.8. Prepare accurate and balanced documents and publications covering aspects of the Committee work for dissemination to the membership, industry and public with the consent of the Executive Committee.
GUIDANCE NOTE TO THE NEW “TERMS OF REFERENCE”
To avoid disruption of the Committee activities with the application of the new “Terms of Reference”, current Committee members continue their membership for a new “term in office” in accordance with the revised Terms of Reference.
However, in order to still keep ISTEC membership open for new members, the first “term of office” under the current membership be considered as a transition period with the following procedure:
- in case the Committee membership reaches its maximum of 25 members and,
- in case new candidates solicit membership of the Committee (and the Committee and Council approve their membership),
- then, in the absence of any other member volunteering to step down, the current member(s) with the longest “term of office” counted from time of first election will step down and allow new nominees to join the Committee
- under this transition period, a member who has stepped down may not be considered as a “new candidate” if the Committee has already its maximum membership.
Scorpio Ship Management SAM
Mr. Stamatis Bourboulis
Euronav Ship Management (Hellas) Ltd.
Mr. Adrian Box
Mr. Munawar Fakhri
MOL (Europe Africa) Ltd.
Mr. Dimitrios A. Heliotis
Target Marine SA
Mr. Sean Hutchings
Thome Ship Management Pte. Ltd.
Mr. Takis E. Koutris
Roxana Shipping SA
Mr. Douglas Lang
Mr. Dimitris Makris
Olympic Shipping & Management SA
Capt. Fletcher Martins
Scorpio Ship Management SAM
Mr. Akash Mittra
Teekay Marine (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Capt. Pantelis Patsoulis
Euronav Ship Management (Hellas) Ltd.
Mr. Lars Pennman
Stena Bulk AB
Mr Ramiro Pereda Merello
Mr. Pradeep Ranjan
Navios Tankers Management Inc
Mr. Per Cato Roed
Stolt Tankers BV
Mr. Fabio Tagliavia
d'Amico Societá di Navigazione SpA
Mr. Kostas Vlachos
Latsco Marine Management Inc
Mr. Nikolay N. Zinenko
SCF Management Services (Novorossiysk)