Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC)
“ISTEC is a major stakeholder in shaping and developing technical and operational standards for tankers that ensure the highest level of operational safety and efficiency. The Committee’s broad mix of skill sets and geographical representation, ensures our recommendations and deliberations are equitable across the Membership and ultimately practical in use. This can only be achieved through honest and, on occasions, robust discussions, however our mutual respect and friendship built over many years ensure the quality of the decisions and recommendations are to the ultimate benefit of the membership and INTERTANKO ethos.”
Douglas W. Lang, Chairman
- Promote safety at sea and the protection of the environment through communication and sharing of experience
- Advise on aspects of safety, environmental protection, operation of tankers andtraining in order to promote efficient and professional ship operation
- Assist Council and Executive Committee with developing technical standpoints and policies for INTERTANKO
- Foster co-operation with the IMO, IACS, OCIMF, ICS and other recognised bodies involved with tanker safety and the protection of the environment
- Represent INTERTANKO Members at IMO and other industry fora so as to ensure proper representation on appropriate committees and working groups developing safety and environmental legislation and regulation
Technical Director, European Affairs Coordinator, Oslo office manager
t: +47 22 122 650
Donna Tang de Leon
Assistant Manager Technical
t: +47 22 122 687
Committee meetings are restricted to Members and only show when logged-in to the site
- GHG Emission Reductions — IMO Strategy
- EEDI Phase 3 for large tankers
- Ship Performance Monitoring
- Coordinate an Joint Industry Working Group on Anchoring to review possible improvements of anchoring installations
- NOx Tier III installations, certification, testing and operations
- Support to ISGOTT review process
- Ad-hoc Panel on Piracy and Maritime Security
- Lifeboat Working Group
- Ballast Water Management Systems *
- IACS Unified Interpretations and Unified Requirements
- Working Group on Integrated Bilge Tank Systems (IBTS)*
- 2020 Sulphur Cap regulations, enforcement and guidelines
- Dry-Dock Check List revision
- INTERTANKO Oil Record Book Guidance
- OCIMF-INTERTANKO Safety Initiative*
* Items jointly addressed with the Environmental Committee
What is the Committee looking to achieve in 2020?
- To further strengthen the co-operation with OCIMF’s Marine Technical Sub-Committee
- Monitor together with the Bunker Sub-Committee enforcement of 2020 Sulphur Cap regulation and assess impact on membership.
- Review Oil Record Book guidance Part I and Part II
- Provide a practical guide on ship performance and energy efficiency monitoring.
- Active engaged and contributor to IMO development for short-term measures to reduce GHG emissions from shipping
- Monitor impact on tankers’ ability to safe maneuvering and address it with designers, engine manufacturers and Class Societies
- Aim to rule changes to result that MARPOL Delivered Fuel Sample is taken in accordance with ISO 13739 and as by the IMO Guidelines
Chairman: Douglas Lang – Anglo-Eastern Shipmanagement (UK) Ltd
Secretary: Dragos Rauta
INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) 56th Meeting held in Athens
The INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) met in Athens last week (26-27 September) under the Chairmanship of Mr Douglas... MORE
ISTEC Working Group on Performance Monitoring meets in London
The fourth meeting of the Working Group on Performance Monitoring (WG) took place at INTERTANKO’s London office this week. The... MORE
INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) 55th Meeting held in London
The INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) met in London last week (28 February – 1 March) under the Chairmanship... MORE
INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee meets in Lisbon
The INTERTANKO Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) met this week (13 and 14 September) at the European Maritime Safety Agency... MORE
INTERTANKO/ISTEC Working Group on Hull Performance meets in London
The 2nd meeting of the Working Group on Performance Monitoring (WG) met on 26 April 2018 at INTERTANKO's London office.... MORE
The Dry-Dock Checklist was developed by INTERTANKO's Safety and Technical Committee (ISTEC) with the aim of improving the scope and... MORE
Research Report: Marine Fuel Quality - An Objective Review
INTERTANKO Research Report: Marine Fuel Quality - An Objective Review, by Lloyd’s Register Marine (FOBAS).... MORE
Research Report: A Case Study of Fuel Monitoring and Efficiency Indicators
INTERTANKO Research Report: A Case Study of Fuel Monitoring and Efficiency Indicators - by UCL Energy Institute.... MORE
A Guide for Correct Entries in the Oil Record Book (Part I - Machinery space ops), 3rd Edition
This publication addresses the increasing problems of ships being detained and fined due to equipment malfunction. It also provides guidance... MORE
A Guide for Correct Entries in the Oil Record Book (Part II - Cargo/ballast operations), 1st Edition
This guide has been developed to assist ship operators in providing guidance to their seagoing personnel for the proper and... MORE
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference
INTERTANKO Safety, Technical And Environmental Committee (ISTEC)
1. Aims And Objectives
To promote and protect the interests of the INTERTANKO membership in relation to international, national and local legislation and regulation as it affects ship design, safe tanker operation and the protection of the environment. To this end the Committee will:
- 1.1. Promote safety at sea and protection of the Environment through communication and experience sharing.
- 1.2. Foster co-operation with the International Maritime Organisation, the International Association of Classification Societies, the Oil Companies International Marine Forum, the International Chamber of Shipping and other recognised bodies involved with tanker safety and the protection of the environment.
- 1.3. Represent INTERTANKO at IMO and other industry fora so as to ensure proper representation on appropriate committees and groups developing safety and environmental legislation and regulation.
- 1.4. Advise on aspects of safety, environmental protection, operation of tankers and training to promote efficient and professional ship operation.
- 2.1 The INTERTANKO Safety, Technical and Environmental Committee, ISTEC, will comprise a maximum of twenty-five members.
- 2.2 Election to the Committee will be by the Council upon nomination by the Committee. The Committee members’ term of office is two-years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply which are recommended by the Committee and approved by the Executive Committee. However, if there are members waiting to join the Committee, a member must step down from the Committee after eight consecutive years on the Committee for at least a one year period. A Committee member has the right to be represented by an alternator from his/her company. Each Committee Member is expected to be actively involved in at least one of the activities of the Committee Sub-Committee/Working groups.
- 2.3. The Committee’s composition will be periodically reviewed by the ISTEC Chairman and the Secretariat so as to continue to reflect the balance of expertise and representation required.
- 2.4 The Committee membership should be comprised of members with a good geographical spread to the extent possible.
- 2.5 To the extent possible, there should be no more than one representative from a member company on the Committee.
3. Chairman And Vice Chairman
- 3.1. In consultation with the Executive Committee, the Committee will nominate its own Chairman for election by the Council. The Chairman’s term of office is two-years which can be extended for another two years, unless other reasons apply which are recommended by the Committee and approved by the Executive Committee.
- 3.2 The Committee will nominate at least one Vice Chairman from its membership for election by the Council. The Vice Chairman’s term of office should not exceed two years unless by invitation.
- 4.1. ISTEC is to meet as necessary, but not less than twice a year at venues to be decided by the Chairman and the INTERTANKO office.
- 4.2. Committee members shall endeavour to attend a minimum of one meeting per year. Should a committee member not be able to attend the member will be encouraged to submit written comments.
- 4.3. INTERTANKO’s Chairman and Managing Director may participate in the meetings.
5. Travel Expenses
The travel expenses of the Committee’s membership should be paid for by the member company.
6. Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference shall be approved by INTERTANKO’s Council.
The INTERTANKO Secretariat undertakes the secretarial and administrative tasks for the Committee.
The Committee will report to INTERTANKO’s Council.
9. Duties and Responsibilities
- 9.1. The Committee through its Chairman and, when appropriate in consultation with the Executive Committee, will identify important issues arising within the industry and set up Working Groups as deemed appropriate.
- 9.2. The Chairman of Working Groups (WG) should be responsible for the discussion and preparation of documents required by that WG and they should report periodically to the Committee/INTERTANKO office on any progress.
- 9.3. ISTEC should endeavour to obtain the best possible benefits from INTERTANKO’s observer status at IMO.
- 9.4. Ensure that it is represented on working groups at IMO concerned with aspects of safety, environmental protection, operation of tankers and training.
- 9.5. Serve as forum for the exchange of information and experience pertaining to safety, operation of tankers and training for INTERTANKO membership and/or relation with other industry bodies.
- 9.6. Serve as a forum to examine and review international, national and local legislative proposals and activities affecting the membership.
- 9.7. Initiate studies and research relating to the safe marine transportation of hydrocarbon and chemical substances.
- 9.8. Prepare accurate and balanced documents and publications covering aspects of the Committee work for dissemination to the membership, industry and public with the consent of the Executive Committee.
GUIDANCE NOTE TO THE NEW “TERMS OF REFERENCE”
To avoid disruption of the Committee activities with the application of the new “Terms of Reference”, current Committee members continue their membership for a new “term in office” in accordance with the revised Terms of Reference.
However, in order to still keep ISTEC membership open for new members, the first “term of office” under the current membership be considered as a transition period with the following procedure:
- in case the Committee membership reaches its maximum of 25 members and,
- in case new candidates solicit membership of the Committee (and the Committee and Council approve their membership),
- then, in the absence of any other member volunteering to step down, the current member(s) with the longest “term of office” counted from time of first election will step down and allow new nominees to join the Committee
- under this transition period, a member who has stepped down may not be considered as a “new candidate” if the Committee has already its maximum membership.
Scorpio Ship Management SAM
Mr. Stamatis Bourboulis
Euronav Ship Management (Hellas) Ltd.
Mr. Adrian Box
Dr. Panos Deligiannis
Neda Maritime Agency Company Ltd
Mr. Munawar Fakhri
MOL (Europe Africa) Ltd.
Capt. Haruhisa Fujino
Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha
Mr. Dimitrios A. Heliotis
Target Marine SA
Mr. Sean Hutchings
C/O Thome Ship Management Pte. Ltd.
Mr. Konstantinos Karathanos
GasLog LNG Services Ltd
Mr. Takis E. Koutris
Roxana Shipping SA
Mr. Douglas Lang
Mr. Dimitris Makris
Olympic Shipping & Management SA
Capt. Fletcher Martins
Scorpio Ship Management SAM
Mr. Akash Mittra
Teekay Marine (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Capt. Pantelis Patsoulis
Euronav Ship Management (Hellas) Ltd.
Mr. Lars Pennman
Stena Bulk AB
Mr. Pradeep Ranjan
Navios Tankers Management Inc
Mr. Per Cato Roed
Stolt Tankers B.V.
Capt. Nikiforos Stouraitis
Polembros Shipping Limited
Mr. Fabio Tagliavia
d'Amico Societá di Navigazione SpA
Mr. Kostas Vlachos
Latsco Marine Management Inc
Mr. Nikolay N. Zinenko
SCF Management Services (Novorossiysk)